- Nan-Kai Junior College was established in 1971 by Mr. Ku, Pu-Hsien, who fore-saw the promising economy and enter-prise which would need more skillful technicians. He, hence, dedicated himself to train students with the capability of managing hands-on tasks and with intelligence to meet the need of the industry.
- In August, 1971, Nan-Kai Junior College was given approval to recruit day school students to Department of Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Electronic Engineering.
- In August, 1982, Evening School of two-year program was established. Later, Day School of two-year program was founded in 1989.
- In 1992 and 1993, Department of Information Management and Department of Real Estate Management were added to the campus. Then, with the approval of the Ministry of Education, Nan-Kai Junior College was renamed Nan Kai Junior College of Technology and Commerce in August, 1993.
- In 1999, suffering from the 921 earthquake, the faculty and staff members exerted much effort on resuming all classes in the straitened circumstances.
- In May, 2001, new school building including Administration, Engineering, and Teaching Building were launched and used. And in August, 2001, granted by the Ministry of Education, Nan-Kai Institute of Technology (NKIT) was accredited to its new title.
- In August, 2003, while Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering, and Department of Computer and Communication Engineering were added to the campus, Department of Real Estate Management was renamed Department of Business Administration. In the same year, the Research and Development Center of Medical Technology was granted by the Ministry of Education. Due to the close link with the industry, this Center has become the leading organization regarding research of medical technology in central Taiwan.
- In February, 2004, the brand new dormitory was launched. It is a multi-functional building including recreational area, bookstore, and food court.
- In August, 2004, Division of Automation Engineering derived from Department of Mechanical Engineering and Department of Multimedia Design were added to the campus.
- In February, 2005, the Incubation Center was granted by the Ministry of Economics.
- In August, 2005, Department of Leisure Management and Division of Design derived from Department of Mechanical Engineering were added. In addition, College of Extension Education was also established and it started recruiting students of two-year program. More importantly, the consensus, “Gerontechnology and Care Service of the Elderly”, has been reached to be the special feature of our school.
- In September, 2005, our school administered the Multi-Dimensional Project for Student Development.
- In July, 2006, our school signed the common cooperation agreement with Nantou County Government, Nantou City government, Nantou Township government, and Puli Township government.
- In August, 2006, Graduate School of Gerontechnology and Service Management and Department of Cultural Business Development were added to the campus.
- In August, 2007, College of Adult Education was conditionally granted by the Ministry of Education. Moreover, Graduate School of Electric Engineering and Computer Science was granted to be established in the same year.
- In August, 2008, approval of establishing Graduate School of Vehicle and Mechatronic Industry was granted by the Ministry of Education.
- In August, 2008, our school was accredited by the Ministry of Education and thus renamed Nan Kai University of Technology.